All of us need daily doses of each of these happiness chemicals, but how can we get them when we are working? Here are some tips:
- Finish a little task. Keeping track of the things from your to do list that have already been completed can be very powerful.
- Have coffee or tea with a colleague.
- Look for and celebrate small wins.
- Notice what people are doing right and give sincere compliments lavishly.
- Write compliments on sticky notes and leave them around the office.
- Write thank you notes when colleagues partner with you.
- Learn and practice 5-minute meditations. Here is a list of some of my favorites to help you get started: Quick Meditations. The magic code word is “meditation.”
- Take 3 deep breaths when you leave and enter every room.
- Spend time outside every day, even if it is only for a few minutes here and there.
- Practice a laughter exercise. When my cousin Pat, a certified coach, told me this exercise, I thought she was crazy, but it actually works!
- Exercise, stretch, or just take the long way to get wherever you are going.
- Take some essential oils into your office (as long as your colleagues find them pleasant — we all react differently to scents.)
Take time to do at least one of these every day!